Sunday, November 1, 2009

"I'll Take a Risk, Take a Chance, Make a Change"

Because I didn't post my usual sappy quote last week, and to celebrate the rejuvenation of Grey's Anatomy, two quotes from America's favorite medical drama today:

"A couple of hundred years ago, Benjamin Franklin shared with the world the secret of his success. Never leave that till tomorrow, he said, which you can do today. This is the man who discovered electricity. You think more people would listen to what he had to say. I don't know why we put things off, but if I had to guess, I'd have to say it has a lot to do with fear. Fear of failure, fear of rejection, sometimes the fear is just of making a decision, because what if you're wrong? What if you're making a mistake you can't undo? The early bird catches the worm. A stitch in time saves nine. He who hesitates is lost. We can't pretend we hadn't been told. We've all heard the proverbs, heard the philosophers, heard our grandparents warning us about wasted time, heard the damn poets urging us to seize the day. Still sometimes we have to see for ourselves. We have to make our own mistakes. We have to learn our own lessons. We have to sweep today's possibility under tomorrow's rug until we can't anymore. Until we finally understand for ourselves what Benjamin Franklin really meant. That knowing is better than wondering, that waking is better than sleeping, and even the biggest failure, even the worst, beat the hell out of never trying."
-Meredith Grey

The next exchange sums up what I want to yell at the Mormon church right about now.

Mr. Torres:
“Leviticus: ‘Thou shalt not lie with a man as one lies with a female. It is an abomination.’”
Callie: “Oh, don’t do that, Daddy. Don’t quote the Bible at me.”
Dad: “The outcry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and their sin is exceedingly grave.”
Callie: “Jesus: ‘A new commandment that I give unto you, that you love one another.’”
Dad: “Romans: ‘But we know that—’”
Callie: “Jesus: ‘He who is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone.’”
Dad: “So you admit it is a sin—”
Callie: “Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy. Jesus: ‘Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.’ Jesus: ‘Blessed are those who have been persecuted for righteousness sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.’ Jesus is my savior Daddy, not you. And Jesus would be ashamed of you for judging me. He would be ashamed of you for turning your back on me. He would be ashamed.”

2 comments:

Jordan said...

This week's Grey's was amazing...and that exchange between Callie and her dad was so powerful. I'd like to yell that at many churches and people I know.

I came across your blog after seeing a couple of your posts on EW's Front Row Panel. It got my attention because I'm obsessed with politics and pop culture and used to have a blog called Pop Culture Politics.

Anyway, I really enjoy your posts...keep up the good work!

Jason said...

Thanks Jordan!

That's such an awesome compliment, I really appreciate it. :)