Friday, November 6, 2009

Two Are Better Than One

This wouldn't be my blog without a weekly Kelly posting.

Last week, Ms. Clarkson, at her Halloween show in Missouri, poked fun at the "Ryan Tedder spat" by performing a mashup of "Already Gone" and Beyonce's "Halo." It could be better, but it still oozes awesomeness.

The video:


Grammy nominations are nearly a month away -- they'll be announced on a primetime show on December 2 -- but I can't help but pray that both "Already Gone" and "Halo" are nominated for Song of the Year. It will never happen, and "Halo" has the advantage, because Kelly shot herself in the foot with her public comments, but they're still two of the best (and my favorite) songs of 2009. Despite the controversy surrounding the backing tracks, the songs could not be more different lyrically or vocally. Kelly's is evocative and haunting while Beyonce's is hopeful and sweeping.

In reality, Kelly will likely be shut out of major categories, but I hope that Grammy producers share her tongue-in-cheek humor when planning the Grammy night performances. It would be incredible to watch two of pop music's best voices share the stage and sing the other's song. Beyonce would add an ethereal quality to "Already Gone" and Kelly could inject "Halo" with raw emotion.

I'll keep on dreaming...

(Video via mj's big blog)

1 comment:

Ryan T. said...

That is just fabulous. Though I fear you are right about Kelly getting shut out of the major categories. But if she doesn't even get the requisite 1-2 nominees in Female Pop, I may just scream. She's SO my favorite Idol.