Saturday, December 5, 2009

Capsule Reviews


Since I have much catching up to do, it's not worth writing full-length reviews for films that I wouldn't grade above a B. With that, three mediocre movies:

The Men Who Stare at Goats: Otherwise known as We're Just Here for the Paychecks. The all star cast of George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, Kevin Spacey, and Jeff Bridges all mail in their unfunny, boring performances. Ultimately, this "based on a true story" wasn't one worth telling. Grade: C

Law Abiding Citizen: Automatically gets downgraded for the grammatically incorrect title. Yes, I am a grammar Nazi, but someone should've caught the error. This cat-and-mouse movie about a father seeking revenge on his murdered family is a decent popcorn flick, and that's about it. To make matters worse, Gerard Butler is horribly miscast, and turns in yet another wooden performance void of personality. Grade: B-

Surrogates: A standard, yet at times thought provoking, action flick. The cast, lead by Bruce Willis, is decent, even if the age difference between Willis and his Surrogate wife (Rosamund Pike) is distracting. The ending is packaged too simplistically, but at least the concept is interesting. Grade: B-

1 comment:

Matt said...

Riddle me this Batman: How in the hell did I not know you had a blog?!

*I agree with your movie reviews (especially since I saw all of them with you)