Monday, September 14, 2009

Quote of the Week, Part Two

Quotes are cheesy, but so am I, so I think they have a place here, at least for the time being. However, by request, I'll give this one a little more background.

The other day, for whatever reason (I must've been bored), I was thinking about which of the seven deadly sins I am most guilty of. I came to the conclusion that I am, without a doubt, envy. I am green through and through.

When a friend gets their dream job, my reaction? Feign excitement while I secretly wish I was in their shoes. What happened when a classmate received an A- and I got a B+? I concluded that they must've been lucky because they inevitably didn't work as hard as I did. Even when the student loan bills come every month, I can't help but wish I would've been born to the wealth of a Huntsman or a Kennedy. Obviously, every situation is met with varying degrees of the fatal flaw, but you get the idea.

Anyway, I ran upon this quote tonight:

"Jealousy is simply and clearly the fear that you do not have value. Jealousy scans for evidence to prove the point - that others will be preferred and rewarded more than you. There is only one alternative - self-value. If you cannot love yourself, you will not believe that you are loved. You will always think it's a mistake or luck. Take your eyes off others and turn the scanner within. Find the seeds of your jealousy, clear the old voices and experiences. Put all the energy into building your personal and emotional security. Then you will be the one others envy, and you can remember the pain and reach out to them." - Jennifer James

It's definitely something to think about.

3 comments:

McDonald Family said...

Jason,

Emily and I have met about it, and we agree that if you are going to continue blogging movie reviews, there are several movies you have to see (and probably even like).

Labyrinth
Pulp Fiction
Memento
Beavis and Butthead Do America
Borat
Top Gun

This list shall continue tomorrow after another meeting.

Thank you for your consideration.

E

Brian @ PWYJudges said...

Listen...I worked plenty hard on that COM101 paper...

Jason said...

Brian-

How disgusting is it that I still remember our grades from the COM 101 papers?

You kicked my ass on the midterm, but I'm pretty sure we tied on the final. ;)